Followers

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Herzlich: A Promising Story Gone Bad


A great player, a great kid: these are only a few characteristics of Boston College linebacker Mark Herzlich. A potential first-round pick for the NFL's 2010 draft, Mark had been focusing all of his energy on his last and final year of BC football, a year he thought would be his best. Tragically, however, early this month, Herzlich was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma, a rare type of cancer in the bones. The diagnosis was made public on May 14, and when asked about his initial reaction to his diagnosis, Herzlich said,"Obviously, I was shocked. I had been extremely focused on preparing for my senior season at Boston College and for life beyond that. Now, I must channel all that energy into facing my toughest opponent yet, and that is exactly what I will do." He has since moved to Pennsylvania to be with his family, where he can live every day with a new devotion. On NESN's Sportsdesk, Jayme Parker interviewed Herzlich. He stated, “From what the doctors have been saying, they don’t think it’s too promising that I’m coming back. I’m going to do everything in my power, everything I can, to come back out on the field. It’s something that I love. It’s my dream.” As a final thought, Herzlich said, "Every day I wake up and can be with my parents; that is a great day in my book now." It was a very promising story, one that has surely found a way into many's hearts. Mark's mother stated that they have been getiing letters from all over the country, ranging from little kids wanting to score for Mark, to NFL GM's. On the BC website, you can leave your name, and offer words of encouragement for Herzlich. There are hundereds of posts currently up, but I don't doubt that Herzlich and his family cherish each and every message.

Mark played in all of BC's 13 games as a true freshmen, all the while totalling 42 tackles and 5.0 tackles-for-loss. As a sophomore, he started all 14 games and finished with 97 total tackles, and a team-leading 12 tackles-for-loss. A junior last year, he was named ACC defensive player of the year and led his team in tackles, interceptions, pass break-ups, forced fumbles, and fumble recoveries. Herzlich even manages to double major in finance in marketing. In school, he uses his first name, Sandon, to separate football from academics. Truly a sad story, I must say that all my heart goes out to him and his family.

To leave Mark a message, click
http://bceagles.cstv.com/chat/051409aaa.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors